Keep calm. Everything Will be OK.
Posted by Famouslastwords | Posted in mental health , New Year , resolutions | Posted on 18:34
I spoke of New Year’s resolutions before yet failed to touch upon my own for the coming year. Now this wasn’t a deliberate ploy to give myself ammo for another blog post but was simply because I didn’t have any at the time. I was racking my brain for something that would actually have some substance and meaning, attainable, yet challenging, and finally I came up with something.
I’m a chronic and unashamed over-thinker. I analyse and deconstruct everything, extracting meaning, cause, possible outcomes, impossible outcomes and an array of things in between. Now sometimes this comes in useful, academic applications for example, this mental overdrive means I fair well
in areas of intellect and knowledge, but it’s a plague on other areas of my life. In matters of relationships and emotions, over-thinking leads to panic, anxiety and self-sabotaging acts. Now coupled with this I also have a tendency to invest too much in life, in trivial matters that have no consequence, in affairs have are of no concern of mine. I end up caring far too much about things beyond my control, things that will work themselves out in the grand scheme of things, things that hardly matter at all. Therefore I decided the best course of action this year would be two take out both pesky birds with one well placed resolutionary stone.
So this year I have elected to give my mind a rest when possible, and involve myself in more activities I enjoy rather than ones that I feel I should be doing. Now this may backfire and I end up a lazy, good-for-nothing hedonist, or I could end up a little happier, a little less anxious and a little less overworked, I have faith in myself that the latter will be the result. Secondly I've decided to let things slide more, that is to say, care less about the goings on around me, take note of them, understand them, but ultimately not work myself into a panic attack worrying about the possible consequences and repercussions. Between these resolutions I hope to achieve more of an inner peace, a mind used but not overused and a conscience that isn’t so judgemental and tiresome.
Now there many more character flaws to work on in the coming years but I feel these two are so relentlessly damaging to my life they must be worked on within the coming months. So far it’s going well, I feel refreshed and slightly more content with life, taking obstacles when they come and knowing that I can go straight through them with a wise enough head. As long as nothing too overwhelming occurs I do feel I’m better equipped with deal with life’s pseudo-problems and come out the other side relatively unscathed. What a difference a few short days can make.


Comments (0)
Post a Comment